May 04, 2017
No. 4 Chapman (20-18, 14-14 SCIAC) at No. 1 La Verne (27-11, 20-8 SCIAC)
2017 SCIAC Tournament Central
Friday, May 5, 2017
La Verne - Campus West Athletics Facilities
- Three newcomers were recognized on All-SCIAC teams this past week. Freshman Michaela Foisy was named to the First Team, while sophomore Emily Claudy and freshman Sarah Sumida were honored with Second Team nominations.
- Foisy's selection comes after a breakout season in her first year as a Panther. The infielder leads the Panthers with a .373 batting average and 44 hits. Her .375 average in SCIAC games ranked fourth in the conference while she ranked fifth in the SCIAC with 20 runs scored. The rookie has stolen 29 bases, shattering the single-season record at Chapman previously set by Katie Dorish in 2003 and ranking second in the SCIAC.
- Claudy has held a 1.76 ERA against SCIAC teams, ranking her at second in the SCIAC. The transfer was the only pitcher in the SCIAC with more than four innings pitched to not allow a home run during the SCIAC season.
- Sumida ranked fourth on the team with a .342 batting average. She led the team with six doubles and four triples, with all four triples coming against SCIAC teams.
- La Verne enters the SCIAC Tournament as the No. 1 seed. The Panthers split both series with the Leopards this season. They are 25-26 all-time against La Verne, having previously lost five games in a row to the Leopards before the 2017 season.
- The No. 2 seed went to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps as they finished 18-10 in conference. The Panthers are 19-29 overall against the Athenas after winning and losing a pair to the side this year.
- Whittier earned the No. 3 spot in the postseason tournament after going 16-12 in conference play. The Panthers dropped three out of four games to the Poets this season and are 23-18 all-time against the side.
- Everything went right for the Panthers at the end of the season as they swept Redlands and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps to earn a No. 4 spot in their first SCIAC Tournament appearance since 2014.